Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life:
"The Democratization of Online Social Networks," "Adults on Social Network Sites, 2005-2009," and "The Internet and Civic Engagement."
Dallas Morning News, October 12, 2009: "Seniors finding social networking exhilarating."
Video from the book, "Socialnomics: How social media transforms the way we live and do business," written by Erik Qualman and published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. [Amazon]
Through extensive research, Erik Qualman shares statistics explaining just how prevalent social media has become in our business and personal lives:
- Social Media has overtaken porn as the #1 activity on the Web
- If Facebook were a country it would be the 4th largest in population size
- Generation Y and Z consider e-mail passé…In 2009 Boston College stopped distributing e-mail addresses to incoming freshmen
- 80% of Tweets happen on mobile devices
- 24 of the 25 largest newspapers are experiencing record declines in circulation because we no longer search for the news, the news finds us.
- More than 1.5 million pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photos, etc.) are shared on Facebook...daily.
- 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations; only 14% trust advertisements
- The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65 year-old females